Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Console Me!



Roy Lichtenstein- Green Face

Poetry


Console Me!


Console me I have sinned beyond the pale
In bramble bushes wildwoods dripping rain
Cascading flowers junipers flood my mind
Who can see that noose down the line?

Console me it was a wicked deed
Winged archers rode with arrows of naked steel
My heart wept heavy when I heard you call
This rankling thought years later still appalls

Console me when dew thoughts catch the night
In moon glow aching nerve me to a fight
Lax flesh begs off by going limp
Bobbing strength and faux pas’ grown to imps
Thing in time done now recall a scent
Of Narciss bloom that never really went!

Silver furrows slick and dry on cheek
Crying out for phantoms to find and wipe and seek.

Console me when the shudders come on deep-
It’s a way to climb, a yawning kind of leap-
That umbilical cord still not cut away
In windy rain I can hear it sway
Ghostly white, moaning as it whips
That fruit of ruin, a wolf among the sheep-

It’s leaping hurdles hurtling through the night
Catching it’s breath before it heaves to sight!

Console me, I need help to fight this fright-
This flower smelling dew of still-papered night
I raise a cornucopia and drink a draught of dreams
On my stony perch entombing remembered screams.

Console me, I have sinned beyond the pale
In bramble bush, in heather moors, in rain-

A cloud now clears and I can see
A spectre raises and legends are set free
The stories grow and I watch them bloom
The clouds come back and hide them in the gloom.

II

Cremate me on the mountain top
Plant saplings in my name-

Whisper your forgiveness
And burn away my shame-

A fire to our memories
Shorn pine and sandal paste-

And when your face is hot and flushed
Get up and walk away.


14th October 2009
Gautam Mukherjee

Copyright Gautam Mukherjee 2009

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home