Monday, June 13, 2011

Regret


I don't know how
I can be on a journey with you
When I should have been stopped outside the airport
By misgivings.

But here I am
On the plane in a big wide seat
Next to you-
Bravely going with-
You and me together.

I did it for nothing worthwhile
Unnecessarily-
Apologising for
the long ago
That time years ago
When we were much too young.

Should never have brought it up
Not now anyhow
In this large sardine can with seat belts,
With carpets.

And you
How do you do it
Turn yourself upside down and inside out
like that?

I was just talking about long ago
Just to show good faith now that we're going together
Again, and flying off somewhere together
Like lovers will.

But I've touched a raw nerve
Surprise surprise
With
Almost a forgotten thing.

I think I have no chance at all
Of living with you now-
Not happily anyhow
Everything blighted by yesterday
And me just not the same
I can't be turning cartwheels like you
To me its ancient history
Life is too short to hold grudges like this

But you, you must be joking
But obviously you're not!

How can I endure being raked over the coals again for a betrayal then
What am I doing here looking forward
Unwilling to endure what turns into what neither of us want
So I must get off this plane!

I run, no lurch, to the door
After brushing past your convulsed body
How can you feel so much
It was just so long ago-

But this thing is moving
On its little wheels
Eerie
But
The ground is shifting, the lights outside slipping by
I find the doors are armed
On this very big aeroplane
There-
and now as I stumble back to my seat
Before the Steward or the Air Marshall comes for me
The lamps inside are dimmed for take off.

I don't think there's going to be any leaving right now
So I must-
Must sit by you and be singed by your sorrow
And watch our tomorrows burn.
There's
No place for today, its like I who hurt you then has died-
And I'm just a ghost sitting next to you.
And all this because
I've invoked the past
Like an ass.

Pity though that-
This is not a train
And there is no platform to slope off into
Before this thing picks up speed to hurtle through the air.

13th June, 2011
Gautam Mukherjee
Copyright Gautam Mukherjee- 2011. All Rights Reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home